Value stream mapping (VSM) is a high level tool that enables a management team in a manufacturing environment to take a systems approach to implementing operational excellence and customer satisfaction. It is of most benefit when carried out in the design phase of process development. A VSM workshop is facilitated on an annual basis during which “one year’s worth” of projects is identified to further enhance customer service and process performance.
Learning Objective and Deliverables
At the end of this workshop participants will:
- understand the purpose and format of a high level value stream map
- have a physical detailed VSM for the product (order processing, planning, purchasing, production, quality and distribution)
- have identified measures of customer value in key processes
- have a list of prioritised issues and action items on which to work on during a one year period, that will deliver a more robust, lower cost and customer friendly process, and have identified key performance metrics, the achievement of which will help to guarantee consistent delivery of customer value
The VSM forms the backbone of the continuous improvement roadmap for a product and will largely determine the project resources & training effort required over each year in the future.
- Workflow Principles
- Takt Time
- The 7 Wastes
- Product overview
- VSM physical map drawing,review and summary
- Value & non-value add activities
- Issues list
- Metrics & performance levels
- VSM action list & next steps
- Value Stream Mapping (VSM) physical map drawing and review
Operations decision makers such as the operations/manufacturing managers, supply chain managers, engineering managers and quality managers, senior supervisors, and senior engineers and quality technicians. It is not a course specifically aimed at team leads and operators, however they could provide valuable supplementary input if they accompany the decision maker.
The course is presented by Bernadette Rushe from Cordatus Consulting. Bernadette has been involved in the management of supply chain and business process improvement activities for over 20 years. She received her Lean and Six Sigma training at Dell Computer Corporation. In 2001 she left Dell to establish Cordatus. Her consulting skills and practical workshops have yielded benefits in the order of several €millions per annum to client companies. She holds a first class honours master’s degree in supply chain management.
Duration: 1 day
Price: €375 pp
This course is available as an on-site customised course